Your business doesn’t stop at the US border, and neither do we.
As global business continues to become more pervasive, all companies must consider the opportunities and risks presented by international sourcing and international sales of goods/services. Our experienced attorneys help clients realize these opportunities and effectively manage risk in international transactions, giving the Firm a global outlook and reach.
The world wants what you’ve got.
We have the business, transactional and regulatory expertise to help companies navigate business opportunities and risks around the globe. Our attorneys have advised clients on transactions involving over 100 countries, and also serve as US counsel to foreign clients.
Our attorneys handle a number of matters related to international business transactions, including:
- International sale of goods (CISG) and other transactions
- Financing international transactions
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance
- IncoTerms and international commercial standards
- Developing deemed exports programs for clients employing foreign nationals
- Evaluating the implications of international employee and agency agreements
- Establishing American subsidiaries of foreign companies
- Coordinating international joint ventures and distribution agreements
- Managing foreign counsel around the world on behalf of U.S. clients.
- Development agreements and IP licenses
- International Business Transactions
Import / Export & International Trade
After the international deal is done, the next step in these transactions involves the delivery of goods and services across borders, as well as making and receiving payments for those goods and services. As you might expect, the national governments implicated by those international payments and transfers of goods, services and technology have an interest in regulating such activities which occur within or across their borders, or when the deals involve the transfers of sensitive technology.
We advise clients on all aspects of import, export, and international trade regulations, including:
Customs and Import Law
- Ruling Requests
- Import Compliance Programs
- Fines, Penalties, Liquidated Damages, Seizures & Forfeitures
- Internal Audits & Compliance Assessments
- Cargo Security (C-TPAT, FDA, USDA, etc.)
- Export Licensing
- Export Compliance Programs
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Sanctions & Embargoes
- Internal Audits & Compliance Assessments
- Commodity Jurisdictions (CJ) from State Department DTC
International Trade Agreements & Duty Preference Programs
- Generalized System of Preferences (GSP)
- Bi-Lateral Free Trade Agreements
International Trade Regulation
- Countervailing Duties/Subsidies
- Safeguards under Section 201, 301, etc.)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
Foreign Trade Zones
- Applications & Modifications
- Zone Procedures & Compliance Manuals
- Compliance Assessments & Internal Audits
Select Representative Matters
Created ITAR and export compliance program for US satellite component manufacturer.
Obtained release of tablet computers seized by Customs for alleged IP infringement
Mitigated Customs penalties airline catering company
Filed prior disclosure to avoid Customs penalties related to NAFTA imports of textiles.
Counsel in CIT litigation resulting in the dismissal of Customs marking and §1592 penalty against textile importer.
Developed in-bond and cargo security program compliant with Customs guidelines for major U.S. transportation company.
Developed import compliance and vendor management program for discount mass merchandiser.
Audited & revised FCPA policy for US-based public multinational valve manufacturer.
Advised US candle importer during ITA/ITC antidumping investigation.
Coordinated with South Korean Customs agency to obtain release of cargo.
Established trade compliance program for US subsidiary of large Japanese high-tech company.
Established import/export and FTZ compliance program for multinational petrochemical company.
Validated GSP qualification of numerous products for well-known mass merchandiser.
Obtained favorable Customs ruling used by entire oil/petrochemical industry for imports of synthetic crude.
Advised US wireless Internet company in Mexican joint venture.
Advised US defense contractor in formation of Turkish subsidiary.
Facilitated the establishment of Chilean/U.S. joint venture to import and sell flowers in the U.S.
Directed foreign counsel on formation and start-up of Italian subsidiary of U.S. semiconductor company.
Drafted and negotiated international distribution agreement between U.S. media company and South Korean entity.