“My personal and professional goals are identical: solve problems and help people.
I’m fortunate to get to do both in my practice.”
I am a SAVaGE lawyer, meaning that I represent innovation-based entrepreneurs and emerging software, app & video game developers, publishers, distributors and similar companies regarding their core legal issues
I also advise a range of innovation-based entrepreneurs, start-ups and privately-held companies of all sizes in a variety of industries regarding trademark, copyright, and trade secret protection, licensing & enforcement in the US and abroad, and I regularly represent clients before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the US Library of Congress (Copyright Office).
In addition, I assist companies in international business transactions and joint ventures. To date, I have advised clients on business deals involving almost 100 countries. I also coordinate with foreign counsel on legal projects around the world on behalf of U.S. clients, and serve as legal advisor to foreign companies doing business with or in the U.S.
I also have significant experience and expertise handling domestic business matters, including entity formations, commercial real state, business transactions, asset and equity sales, and other legal issues commonly faced by my clients.
In addition to my work at the firm, I have been an adjunct professor of law at Baylor University Law School for 15 years, teaching courses on International Trade Law and International Business Transactions.
I am also an entrepreneur (founder/CEO of VENUE, an incubator and office space for independent lawyers), and an inventor (created “Chester’s Grilling Blend” spice blend and a State of Texas award winning salsa recipe).
In my free time, I enjoy coaching my children’s sports teams, and volunteering at my church and community.
Prior to founding CHESTER pllc, I was an equity partner in a regional technology boutique law firm, was a shareholder in a mid-sized downtown Dallas law firm, and worked in-house at a major multinational energy company.
- Trademark Registration
- Video Games & Apps
- Intellectual Property Protection, Enforcement & Transactions
- eCommerce & Internet Business
- Business Formation & Transactions
- Technology Transactions
- International Business Transactions
- Import / Export & International Trade
- “Attorney of the Month”, ATTORNEY AT LAW MAGAZINE (August 2015).
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation (2010 – Present)
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine (2014).
- “Rising Stars Under 40,” by Law & Politics Magazine published in Texas Monthly and Texas Rising Stars Magazines (2008, 2009, 2011).
- “Super Lawyer,” by Law & Politics Magazine published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers Magazines (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).
- Featured, “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in International Law and Trade,” THE ASIAN LAWYER and FOCUS EUROPE magazines (Summer 2013).
- “AV® Preeminent” Peer Review Rating by Martindale Hubbell®
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (2009 – Present)
- Featured, “2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property,” in the March 2013 issues of The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, and The National Law Journal.
- Member, Texas Bar College (2008 – 2013)
- Alumni Ambassador Award, Texas A&M University, Commerce (1998)
- Founder/Chairman, DFW-STCL Alumni Network, (2008-Present)
- Director, Houston College of Law Alumni Association (2010-2012)
- Chair, International Committee, State Bar of Texas Intellectual Property Section. (2013-2015)
- Member, Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas (2000-2004)
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- “Legal Issues for SAVaGEs: Software, App & Video Game Law”, Texas Savages (Oct 2016).
- “Success & Happiness,” Texas Independent Lawyer Alliance (August 2016).
- “Export Controls on Technology,” State Bar of Texas Advanced IP Course (March 2014).
- “Most Bang for your Legal Bucks: Top ROI for Entrepreneurs”, East Dallas Chamber of Commerce (May 2014).
- “Protecting IP in International Transactions,” State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (June 2014).
- “IP Due Diligence in Investments and Acquisitions,” Dallas Assoc. of Young Lawyers (Feb. 2013)
- “Protecting IP in International Business,” State Bar of Texas, Paralegal Division, Virtual (online) Presentation (Jan. 2013)
- “Who is my Client?,” Dallas Assoc. of Young Lawyers (August 2012).
- ”Going Global: An Overview of the Legal and Regulatory Implications of International Business” co-presenter, NTEC (June 2012)
- “The Intersection of Trade & IP: Can Gray Market Goods Still be Imported?”. ABA IP Roundtable (Dallas) 2011
- “Financing Int’l Trade,” International Small Business Development Center, Ft. Worth 2010
- “Implementing an Effective FCPA Compliance Program,” Texas Minority Counsel Program Annual Conference 2010
- “Combating Counterfeits,” 47th Ann. IP Law Conf., Cntr. for Amer. & Int’l Law, 2009
- “Protecting IP in International Trade, Texas Bar Assn Annual Mtg., 2009
- “Basic of Intellectual Property Protection,” Collin County Bar Assn (Plano) 2009
- “Domestic vs. Int’l Contracts,” Inst. Supply Chain Mgmt. (San Antonio) 2009
- “Keys to Int’l Trade Compliance,” Inst. Supply Chain Mgmt. (Waco) 2008
- “Export Controls and Technology,” DBA Computer Law Section 2008
- “Legal Aspect of Int’l Trade,” Ft. Worth Int’l. Center 2008
- “Financing Int’l Trade,” Ft. Worth Int’l. Center 2008
- “Keys to Int’l Trade Compliance” Inst. Supply Chain Mgmt. (Wichita, KS) 2008
- “Overview of IP Law,” Professionals Roundtable of Dallas 2007
- “Overlap between IP and Trade Law,” DBA Computer Law Section 2006
- Editor-In-Chief, “SAVaGE Select” (Software, App & Video Game Legal News (2016-Present).
- “Going Global: A Primer for Technology Companies,” (w/ Sophilia Hsu) Currents: International Trade Law Journal (Winter 2013).
- “Protecting IP in International Markets,” Texas Bar Journal Vol 75, No, 7 (July 2012).
- “IP Due Diligence in Mergers & Acquisitions ,” (w/ Roxana Sullivan & Sita Desai) Dallas Bar Assoc. Headnotes (November 2010).
- Inside the Minds: Protecting IP Rights in International Business Transactions. 2011 ed. (West, Aspatore Books 2011).
- Editor, Trade & Innovation Law Blog (2010-Present).
- “Don’t Trip Up Over TRIPS,” (The Oath Magazine, September 2011).
- Co-author, “Proactive Approaches to the IP Licensing Process”, Intellectual Property Licensing Strategies, 2011 ed.: Leading Lawyers on Educating Clients, Drafting Licensing Agreements, and Resolving Disputes (Inside the Minds). (West, Aspatore Books 2010).
- “The Hits Keep Coming: Survey of the Major CBP’s IP-Related Enforcement Actions in 2010” (CITBA Winter Journal 2010).
- “Protecting Intellectual Property” eSide Supply Management (July/Aug 2009)
- “Protecting IP in International Trade,” (Headnotes, July 2009)
- “PRO-IP to Target Counterfeiters,” (Texas Lawyer, Feb 2, 2009)
- “Chester’s Practical Guide to Int’l Trade Regulation” (Baylor Univ Law 2014 – 3rd Edition)
- “Comparing Int’l & Domestic Contracts,” eSide Supply Management (Fall 2008)
- “Convergence of IP and International Trade Law,” (Natl. Law Jrnl. 2005)
- “Case Study: Potential Trademark Infringements” (Jrnl. of Bus. & Econ. Res., 2005)
- ”In the Zone: Creating Profits Thru Savings Using FTZs,” (Texas Lawyer, July 4, 2005)
- President, The Ridge HOA (2016-Present)
- Member, Finance Council, Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church (2016 to Present)
- Finance Chair, Dallas Little League (2014-2015)
- Director, Dallas Housing Crisis Center (2008-2011)
- Director, STCL Alumni Association, (2009-2012)
- President, Lakewood Neighborhood Association (2005-2006)
- Advisor, Global Business Program, University of Dallas (2004-2006)
- Advisor, Foreign Trade Institute, University of Texas at Dallas (2005-2006)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State of Texas, 1997
- District of Columbia Bar, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1998
- U.S. Court of International Trade, 1998
- Graduate Tax Program, Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law (No degree)
- LL.M., International Economic Law, University of Houston School of Law
- J.D., South Texas College of Law (Law Journal, Varsity Mock trial)
- B.S., Economics/Political Science (Double major), magna cum laude, Texas A&M University, Commerce