This is particularly important for technology and innovation-based start-ups and privately held companies who must keep to a tight budget, but who face a myriad of legal challenges and risks.
We understand these concerns, since we are entrepreneurs, ourselves. As such, one of our foundational principles is to ensure that top-quality legal advice and service are affordable for the emerging innovation-based businesses who need them.
This approach helps us to better align our interests with those of our clients so that we can provide the effective legal counsel they need.
How do we Do it?
Here are some examples of how we have built our fees and payment structures to better serve the needs of our clients:
- Our hourly rates are generally 30% – 50% lower than those charged by larger firms offering similar services.
- Although the exact cost of a project is often difficult to estimate, in most cases, we can give you a budget in advance for what to expect.
- For certain types of work, such as filing trademark and copyright registration applications or forming LLCs, Corporations, and other legal entities, we can handle many of these matters on a “Flat Fee” basis. Where appropriate, Flat Fees allow companies to effectively budget for certain legal expenses. Of course, Flat Fee arrangements are not appropriate in all instances.
- We offer alternative fee arrangements such as “Attorney for a Day” flat rates, fractional “General Counsel” services, and even, in exceptional situations, fee-for-equity arrangements.
- We don’t require hefty retainers upfront. Although an initial payment deposit is common for new clients, we set the amount at a reasonable level based on the estimated work to be done, and generally don’t require it to be replenished for future work.
- We send invoices via email and allow clients to pay online via check or credit card, saving our clients costs, time . . . and saving some trees in the process.